A hazardous waste profile — usually referred to simply as a “profile” — is an industry term for a form that lists the chemical properties of wastes requiring disposal. The format of the profile form will vary depending on the treatment, storage and disposal facility (TSDF) that is receiving the waste, but it generally includes:
- Generator information, including name, address, EPA ID # and contact information (phone, email address)
- Description of the waste and process generating the waste
- Physical properties (solid/liquid, density/specific gravity, viscosity, odor, color)
- Information on waste characteristics (flashpoint, pH, air/water reactive)
- Composition (showing hazardous components)
- Federal and state hazardous waste codes (as applicable)
- Shipping and transport information, including DOT “proper shipping name” (PSN)
- Other information needed to properly manage the waste for disposal
Once complete, the profile will be certified by the generator and submitted to the TSDF for review and approval. Waste cannot be accepted at a TSDF until the profile is approved. Depending on the facility, the profile approval process usually takes 1–10 business days. In emergency situations, a rush request can be accommodated.
Profiles should be reviewed periodically for changes in odor, pH, viscosity, chemical composition or other properties related to waste management, then updated, if needed. Accurate and complete knowledge of the constituents of the hazardous waste is essential for managing wastes safely and cost-effectively — and in compliance with applicable requirements. Inaccurate or incomplete profiles can lead to the TSDF charging penalties for “off-specification” (“off-spec”) items or, worse yet, rejecting certain waste streams entirely.
Profiling waste is a key step in the hazardous waste management process. Accurate profiling is critical to ensure the safety of the generator, as well as the environmental services provider, the transporter and the disposal facility.
ACTenviro has experts available to help at each step along the way. Please reach out to us at [email protected], and let us know how we can help.
James Kapin is Principal Advisor for safety, health and environmental compliance for ACTenviro. Jim is a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) with over 25 years of workplace safety and environmental protection experience. Do you have any hazardous waste questions for Jim? Or any other workplace safety or environmental compliance questions? Let us know at [email protected]