The Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) is a national and publicly available database that contains detailed information on nearly 650 chemicals and chemical categories that are released by various industries and managed in a variety of ways.
Under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) and the Pollution Prevention Act (PPA), facilities that meet TRI reporting requirements must report details about their pollution prevention and waste management activities, including releases, of TRI-listed chemicals that occurred during the prior calendar year to EPA’s TRI Program by July 1 of each year.
In general, chemicals covered by the TRI Program are those that cause:
- Cancer or other chronic human health effects
- Significant adverse acute human health effects
- Significant adverse environmental effects
Not all industry sectors are covered by the TRI Program, and not all facilities in covered sectors are required to report to TRI.
Reporting Changes for RY 2022
The changes below apply to RY 2022 TRI forms, which are due to EPA by July 1, 2023.
- The Fiscal Year 2020 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) added four per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) to the TRI list.
- Per the requirements of 40 CFR §372.38(a), the de minimislevels for aniline (62-53-3) and acrolein (107-02-8) have been changed from 1.0% to 0.1%.
- EPA published a final rule to add natural gas processing facilitiesto the scope of facilities covered by the TRI.
- EPA issued a determination extending TRI reporting requirements for ethylene oxide (EtO) to 29 contract sterilization facilities.
- EPA published a final rule to codify the definition of “parent company”for TRI reporting purposes.
- EPA published a final rule to adopt 2022 NAICS codes.
See source on EPA’s website for additional information: https://www.epa.gov/toxics-release-inventory-tri-program
Need help? Have questions? ACTenviro’s EHS Services are at the ready! Contact your ACT Account Manager or [email protected]. Requests must be received by June 1st to guarantee completion by July 1st.