Let’s start with a few questions:
- How do you move safety through your company?
- How do you get your employees involved and accountable so you can create a culture of safety?
- How do you get your employees to maintain a high level of personal awareness and still look out for each other?
The Answer? It’s all about your level of INFLUENCE. Influence + Trust + Value = SAFETY
Consider this definition of leadership: “Someone following someone because they want to and not because they have to.”
Last year, ACT’s management had the pleasure of having Garrison Wynn as the keynote speaker at a team meeting. Here’s a clip of one of Garrison’s presentations:
What we learned is that the #1 thing that all humans value is feeling valued.
People that feel valuable:
- make fewer mistakes,
- are more aware, and
- don’t make mistakes as often.
- He is intentional with everyday conversations – he is specific and listens to people’s recommendations. Employees and managers alike are often ingrained with the idea that “everyone is replaceable.” But nothing makes an employee feel more valued than being made aware that they add something to the company that no one else can.
- He shows them that others need them too – by going out on a job to mentor his employees. Showing your team that they’re not only appreciated by you, but also by clients, co-workers and even executives can go a long way!
- He challenges them – if they do not agree with a program or policy, he will brainstorm with them to come up with a better, safer So assign your employees challenging tasks and put your trust in them!