What is e-Manifest?
EPA established a national system for tracking hazardous waste shipments electronically. This system, known as “e-Manifest,” facilitates the electronic transmission of the UHWM and lives inside of RCRAInfo.
What is RCRAInfo?
RCRAInfo is EPA’s comprehensive information system, providing access to data supporting the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and the Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments (HSWA).
The system enables cradle-to-grave waste tracking.
Cradle-to-Grave: RCRA gives EPA the authority to regulate hazardous waste from “cradle-to-grave”
5-Copy Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest (UHWM) Refresher
- Page 1) (TOP PAGE): Designated Facility to EPA’s e-Manifest Copy
- Page 2) Designated Facility to Generator Copy
- Page 3) Designated Facility’s Copy
- Page 4) Transporter’s Copy
- Page 5) (BOTTOM PAGE): Generator’s Initial Copy
UHWM Key Reminders
- TSDF returns signed paper copy to the generator (ACTenviro still does)
- TSDF uploads a scan/inputs manifest data on e-Manifest
- Regulators review UHWM online
- TSDFs no longer mail paper copies to regulators a.k.a. “generator state”
- CA generators send a copy of their manifest to DTSC within 30 days (yes, still)
- Generators may utilize the “Designated Facility to e-Manifest” copies in RCRAinfo for EPA recordkeeping
Anyone can make a user account on RCRAInfo: https://rcrainfo.epa.gov/rcrainfoprod/action/secured/login. Once you link your account to a facility and your access is accepted, you’re in! This means you can view electronic manifests and download/print paper manifests.
Benefits of the e-Manifest system
- View and download completed manifests uploaded by TSDF
- Accurate and more timely information on waste shipments
- Rapid notification of post-receipt manifest corrections
- You can take full advantage of the system regardless of your participation in e-Manifest
Why not use e-Manifest 100%?
- DOT requires shipping papers for haz mat (incl. haz waste)
- Shipping papers still used for other types of pickups not addressed by e-Manifest
Stay tuned: e-Manifest Advisory Board
- Created by EPA to help with adoption
- In the public interest and supports the EPA in performing its duties and responsibilities
Learn more at: https://www.epa.gov/e-manifest/hazardous-waste-electronic-manifest-system-e-manifest-advisory-board
- Additional Resources: DTSC’s Hazardous Waste Tracking System: https://hwts.dtsc.ca.gov/
- EPA’s e-Manifest information: https://www.epa.gov/e-manifest
- ACTenviro’s EHS Services—contact at [email protected]
Join the March Electronic Manifest (e-Manifest)
Webinar: Join EPA’s e-Manifest team, Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at 2:00 pm Eastern time for the next e-Manifest monthly webinar. During this webinar, the team will discuss updates to the e-Manifest system. You can access the link to the March webinar as well as the slides and recordings of past e-Manifest webinars on our Monthly Webinars about the Hazardous Waste Electronic Manifest (e-Manifest) webpage.